Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Licking and Carthage

Hey guys! Boy have I been busy the last couple weeks… The weekend of June 3, 4 & 5, I was in Licking, MO. This was a fantastic rodeo produced by the Licking Chamber of Commerce and the outstanding stock was provided by Mr. Johnny Walters of Mid-States Rodeo Company. Every night we had great rodeo action that kept the fans on the edge of their seats. Their funny bone was constantly tickled all weekend by the great John Harrison. He is also an amazingly skilled trick rider.


During the day on Friday, McKenna and I went around town visiting with the local business people and thanking them for sponsoring the rodeo. Everyone was great and seemed to really appreciate us coming and seeing them. It was also great for us being able to meet the people from town; the ones who help make the rodeo possible every year. For lunch, we headed down to P.J.’s CafĂ©, another great sponsor. Along with being able to eat some great food, we also met a local farmer and former team roper. He was great! He was one of the original people who helped bring the rodeo to Licking over 20 years ago.

Saturday was the parade and rodeo festivities in and around Downtown. To start the day off, they had McKenna and I judge the cutest cowboy/cowgirl contest. This was so not fair!!! Every one of them was so cute and deserved to win. Of course they would not let us do that so we had to pick. While talking with the kids, congratulating them on their placing, one of the girls had her guitar with her. Of course we had to have her sing us a song. She did a wonderful job of singing Jesus Loves Me. She was adorable!

After we made our difficult decisions and chatted with the kids, we headed down the street to do a little shoppin’! There was so much great stuff to choose from. After we worked up a sweat from shopping and signing a few autographs, we headed down to Hoods Frosty Treats to cool off and have some lunch. Since we received some coupons for a free ice cream cone from Landmark Bank we of course had to get a cone. Let me tell you it was the absolute BEST ice cream I have had in a very long time! I had a long internal fight with myself not to get another cone:). If I lived near Licking, I would probably have to buy some bigger jeans!!

I had a great time in Licking. The rodeo went great and everyone was, once again, extremely nice and very helpful.

From Licking, I had to go to Oklahoma City for the week. I attended a training all week fro my “real” job at NRCS. I had a good time and learned a lot more about all the great ways NRCS helps farmers and others with conservation efforts. After class, I was able to study for the Miss Rodeo America Pageant and get some stuff done that needed to be finished up. In all it was a very productive week.

This past weekend I had the opportunity to attend the Carthage Saddle Club Rodeo in Carthage, MO. I unfortunately had to miss the TV and Radio interviews on Friday mornings as my training did not end until noon. McKenna was not very happy with me that I got to “sleep in” until 6:30 am and she had to get up at 3:45 am to be ready for TV. From what I hear everything went great and the guys that went along with her gave her a hard time for me! :)

The rodeo Friday night went very well, all except a few moments! Unfortunately, for me, during the National Anthem I got bucked off! It does not happen very often but it definitely happened Friday night. I guess Dandy, the horse I was riding, decided he was in charge and wanted me to know he did not agree with what was going on! But all was well, neither I nor Dandy was hurt. Do not worry Tim Fuller, the announcer, gave me a hard time about it and let everyone know Saturday night what happened! Thanks Tim:)!!!

After I knocked off the dirt, assured Dandy’s owners that I was ok and it was not a big deal, it was time to run the steers out for the Steer Wrestling. So back out Dandy and I went. He was a perfect gentleman the rest of the night and Saturday night as well. Guess he was over his tiff! Lol

During the day Saturday, McKenna and I had a couple sponsor visits. The first stop was a store called Race Bros. Let me tell you they have a little bit of everything you could possibly need for you home or farm. And everything was priced to sell! Along with talking and visiting with the wonderful owners and staff, I was also able to squeeze in a little shopping. A great pair of jeans, sweet sign for the house I do not have yet and an awesome ring later, I was ready for lunch!

After a very entertaining and delicious lunch at the Chinese buffet, it was off to John Hoffer Dodge. McKenna and I got to looking at the new Dodge truck and noticed a brand-spanking new Dodge Challenger sitting in front of the truck. Oh it was so pretty and we just had to check it out! The very nice guys inside the show room went ahead and unlocked the doors for us; I do not think they knew what they were getting into! So as we are sitting in it being goofy and taking pictures, the salesman says, “Hey why don’t ya take it for a spin?” I tried to talk him out of it, I swear :) So McKenna and I took it for a drive through town waving and honking at everyone we passed. I did not get to “floor” it or anything crazy like that because the manager was sitting in the back seat making sure I did not get too carried away. But that is ok because it was still AMAZING to get the opportunity to drive such an awesome car like that!

The rodeo Saturday night went great! I did not get bucked off!! Haha

I would like to thank everyone who had anything to do with both the Licking and Carthage rodeos. Without you it would not have been possible. Thank you for inviting me and allowing me to help represent your rodeos. I had a great time at both rodeos. Everyone was extremely helpful and so very nice! I can not wait to come back when I am able to run barrels again!

Well I have a break for a couple weeks until my next rodeo. I will spend this time unpacking and cleaning my room (it is a disaster zone right now!). As well as preparing for the Miss Rodeo America Pageant. I hope all is well with you and your family and stays that way!



Until next time, Happy Trails and God Bless,

Erin Watts

3 comments:

  1. Awesome !! Glad you are having a GREAT YEAR!! Missouri is very lucky too have a TRUE AMERICAN COWGIRL QUEEN like you!! Missouri THANKS YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, just found your blog...Erin thanks for a job well done at the Carthage PRCA Rodeo, good luck the rest of the year. McKenna also did a great job! Carrie Howard CSC Board Member

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to run for Miss Rodeo Missouri, but I have a lot of questions. How do you manage your real job and rodeo queen job? Do you bring your own horse to each event? Do you get compensation for travel, etc?

    ReplyDelete