Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Hello

Hi everyone!! Welcome to the new Miss Rodeo Missouri blog. I guess the best way to start off is by introducing myself and telling you some of what I hope to do this year.

As you probably already know, I am Erin Watts. I am the 24 year old daughter of Brad and Whitney Watts. I live in Bloomfield, MO a small town just above the Bootheel. I work at the NRCS office in Dexter and New Madrid as an Office Automation Clerk. I absolutely LOVE my job. I have always rodeoed and had horses. I barrel race, team rope, breakaway rope and used to tie goats and run poles. But I quit goat tieing due to bad knees and lack of talent lol and since I really didn't like poles (read: lack of talent) so I have not run since the final round of my senior year of high school rodeo!!!

I am so honored to be your Miss Rodeo Missouri 2010 and am very excited to represent you this year. Since beginning my rein in January I have been to the Denver Stock Show and Rodeo, Missouri Equine Council Expo in Columbia, Mo, Sedelia, Mo's PRCA rodeo and Horse Fest in Springfield. Every place I have been as been a blast and a great oppurtunity to meet people and spread the word of this organization as well as Rodeo.

Throughout the rest of the year I will have to opportunity to travel the country as well as Missouri to different events. In fact I leave Monday for Pocatello, Idaho for the Dodge National Circuit Finals Rodeo. I am super excited to have been invited to this rodeo. I will also go to the Cowboy Hall of Fame, Cheyenne Frontier Days and Rodeo, Pikes Peak or Bust Rodeo, Licking, Carthage, Ashland, Mo. to name just a few.

Most queens have a platform of sorts that they use to spread a message that they believe in throughout their year. When I was trying to decide what I wanted to pursue I made one up called Shine the Light. It started by wanting to shine the light that rodeo and equine activities are in fact not cruel to animals. That we care about and treat our animals with respect. While thinking about different angles of this issue and how I would be able to involve kids in it I expanded the platform. It is very important for us to research and see both sides of an issue, find the facts about it before forming your viewpoint on the issue. We are all guilty, including myself, of hearing someone's emotions on one side and believe that is the way we should feel also as they are very convincing. But we forget that it is in fact emotions and not facts. We need to use facts before jumping on the bandwagon so to speak. Animal rights and animal welfare are very good examples of this.

Okay enough rambling from me for the first of many, many blogs. I will tell you guys all about the Miss Rodeo Missouri Pageant and my travels as the year unfolds. I hope you guys enjoy!!

Until next time,
Erin Watts

1 comment:

  1. I am SOOOO proud of you Ms. Watts :)Love you dearly! - Cobie

    ReplyDelete